At the start of a project, in the preliminary engineering design stage, decisions must be taken before initial development:
- Reviews of the literature for selection of materials.
- Selection of optimal production processes.
- Selection of required coatings and thermal treatments.
- Examination of competitors (reverse engineering) in global engineering survey.
All these areas require assistance of materials experts who will help the engineering staff to make the optimal decisions.
Both from the engineering aspect and the business aspect.
After building of the initial models many tests are required, e.g.
- Chemical composition tests.
- Structural tests.
- Strength tests.
- Fatigue resistance tests.
- Corrosion resistance tests.
- Information failure analysis will be as a result of erroneous development